What hikes to do in Flaine this summer?
Grandiose landscapes, geological wonders, rich fauna and flora, that's what awaits you in Flaine. Discover our advice and our selection of hikes to do this summer.
150 KM OF TRAILS FOR ALL WALKERSFlaine is 150 km of marked trails nestled between the nature reserves of Passy and Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval, in Haute-Savoie. Trails suitable for families as well as for trail runners who wish to discover the grandiose landscapes.
From the resort, the Grandes Platières cable car takes you to the summit at an altitude of 2500 metres in less than 12 minutes. Up there, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the most beautiful peaks of the Alps and the Jura: the Mont Blanc, the Aravis, Belledonne and the Jura. It is also the starting point for many hikes.
FOR THE EQUIPMENT, HERE ARE OUR ADVICES TO PREPARE YOUR HIKE IN THE BEST WAY:
- Take good walking shoes with notches, to avoid slipping. For children, take high shoes to keep your ankles in place.
- Take a warm jacket and/or rain gear with you. Even in summer, temperatures at high altitudes can be very cold and the weather can change quickly.
- Take a compass and a map or your smartphone, but make sure you save your map on your phone beforehand. At high altitudes the telephone network is weak.
- If you are going on a steep trail, take trekking poles to help you on your journey.
- Take water to avoid dehydration and snacks: cereal bars and dried fruit will be your best allies to boost you during your hike.
- Don't forget the first aid kit with the basic necessities for minor injuries: disinfectant, compresses, bandages. Also take with you the medicines you are likely to use such as: Ventolin, medicines for allergies or insect bites, ...
- Don't forget sun cream and sunglasses. At altitude the sun is strong and sunburns can happen quickly.
- To make the most of your day, take binoculars and have fun observing the flora and fauna of Flaine. Take your camera with you to bring back the memories of this wonderful day in the mountains.
THE LITTLE EXTRAS IF YOU ARE WITH SMALL CHILDREN:Take a baby carrier that is comfortable for both you and your baby and follow a suitable route so that you don't get too tired.
Protect your child from the sun with a hat or cap, sunglasses and sun cream.
Finally, it is best to avoid going on a hike alone, but if you do, remember to tell the people around you about your programme and your itinerary!
The day before and the day of your hike, check the weather conditions, beware of storms! It is better to postpone your hike if in doubt.
Prepare now your stay and discover all our accommodations for your holidays. Click here!
OUR SELECTION OF HIKES IN FLAINE
DÉSERT DE PLATE - FOR ALL AUDIENCES WITH DIFFERENT ACCESSES
A geological treasure only accessible on foot from the arrival of the Grandes Platières cable car. For the more experienced walkers, access can be made by the GR 96 from Flaine in 3 hours.
The Désert de Platé is a huge limestone plateau that has been formed over the years by glaciers and melt water. A rich place for its fauna and flora, open your eyes wide, you are not safe from coming across an ibex or a marmot.
THE TOUR OF THE LAKE OF FLAINE - A FAMILY WALK
A hike to be done with the family in less than 2 hours, with a small difference in altitude. The departure is from Flaine Forum at the bottom of the Grandes Platières cable car. Along the way you will come across various panoramas of the lake, as well as chalets and herds of cows which will delight the little hikers!
LES CRÊTES - FOR EXPERIENCED HIKERS!
Do you enjoy long hikes with steep elevation gains, rugged sections, and ridge lines?
This hike is perfect for you! The starting point is at the base of the Grandes Platières cable car. You'll embark on a challenging 3-hour and 15-minute hike that leads to breathtaking viewpoints: Pointe de Vêret, Tête du Pré de Saix, Lac de Vernant, Flaine, and its surroundings.
This is just a glimpse of the hiking trails you can find in Flaine. You can also explore different walking experiences with themed hikes, guided hikes with entertaining activities, hikes combined with yoga sessions, and other surprises.